Please Wait...

Brief History

Government Hazi Muhammad Mohsin College

Government Hazi Muhammad Mohsin College (Bengali: সরকারী হাজী মুহাম্মদ মহসীন কলেজ ) is a renowned government college in Chittagong, Bangladesh and one of the oldest colleges in Bangladesh. The college is named after Muhammad Mohsin, the 19th century philanthropist.

History

Under the auspices of the 'Mohsin Fund' formed by the "Waqf-state" of Hazi Muhammad Mohsin, it was established in 1874 as Chittagong Madrasa. In 1915, Madrasha education underwent a remarkable change and in 1918 a change named as New Scheme Madrasa came into force to strengthen Madrasa education. Chittagong Madrasa housed in Portuguese Building was gradually developed into Islamic Intermediate College in 1927 to ensure higher education for the students. In 1967 government higher secondary college was founded at the foot of the hill on which Islamic Intermediate College was housed in the Portuguese Building. On 20 July 1979, new college named Hazi Muhammad Mohsin College, Chittagong came into existence though the unification of Islamic Intermediate College and government higher secondary college. Now Hazi Muhammad Mohsin College is a pioneer college of Bangladesh.

Campus

The College area covers almost 31 acres (130,000 m2) of land decked with beautiful landscape. The college Campus wears a garb of natural panoramic beauty. It is housed in eight metalled buildings on an extensive beautiful campus in the lap of nature. The beautiful campus provides the students with a friendly and healthy atmosphere to study in natural tranquility. Here both head and heart go together. A beautiful playground stretches to the south of the college gate, supplying the students a great scope to participate in different games and sports. The college campus upholds the ancient architectural beauty in the shape of a building built by the Portuguese. This building reminds one of their architectural taste and temperament.


Two hostels situated to the west of the administrative Building offer arrangement for 100 students. One more hostel is situated to the south of the Commerce Department Building. There stands the Principal's House, to the south of Commerce Building and on the top of the hill, stands the college mosque.


Faculties and departments

The college has four faculties:

Faculty of Science

The faculty of science comprises the following departments:

Department of Physics

Department of Chemistry

Department of Botany

Department of Zoology

Department of Mathematics

Faculty of Arts

The faculty comprises the following departments:

Department of Philosophy

Department of Bengali

Department of English

Department of Islamic Studies

Department of Islamic History and Culture


Faculty of Business

The faculty comprises the following departments:

Department of Accounting

Department of Management


Faculty of Social Science

The faculty comprises the following departments:

Department of Economics

Department of Political Science

←♥→